Tuesday, January 10, 2012

In 2001 we moved from Wisconsin, with all of it's wonderful lakes to Charlotte, North Carolina.  The 2 states have so much in common.  What I love about living here in Charlotte is that we are so close to the mountains and the ocean.  I love visiting both, and it is such an easy drive.

This particular picture does make me homesick.
The mist coming up off  the lake with the snow and pines on the shore.  It is so peaceful, quiet and thought provoking.

The move here has been quite an experience for me.
We moved when I was in the prime time of my career.  I was often interviewed by the Journal-Sentinel newspaper for design articles. My name as a designer was known, and I did not have to solicit for new business.  I was very involved with my local chapter of ASID, sat on design boards, and mentored younger designers.

Then we moved to a new state where I did not have any background, clientel, or resources.  It was a very humbling experience for me. 

I have been employed by several furniture stores and been self-employed since moving here.  The economy has not been kind to those of us in this industry.

Recently I have started to work for Bassett Furniture, and I feel as if I have come home again.  I work with a great team of people who all love what they do.  I can't say enough about how kind and supportive they have been in helping me to become acclimated to my new surroundings.  The product that I sell is great quality, has lovely styling and we can suit everyone's taste.  The delivery is wonderful..knock on wood but not a single problem since I have started a few months ago.  That makes my job easy and a joy for the client.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is just keep trying.  If your situation feels uncomfortable and you have truly tried, move on until you find the right fit. 
You'll find it, and it will be wonderful.

Life if what you make of it, and you are the only person in control of your destiny.

     Carpe diem!

No comments:

Post a Comment