Friday, March 11, 2011

What makes us who we are?

I have been doing alot of thinking lately about what I want the next phase of my life to look like, and who I want to spend my time with.

The last 4 decades I have spent as an interior designer.  And, I have loved every moment of it.  The work, the clients, and the creativity that has resulted from it.

But, now I am realize that I am ready to move on to different endeavors in my life.  I have never allowed myself to have free time to just play.  I have always been self-motivated and goal driven with a very long to do list! And I will admit that it has always been hard for me to sit and relax.  However, my body has been telling me in subtle ways that I can no longer rise at 5am and keep going until 10pm or later.

So I know that I want to spend time doing the things that I love...gardening, reading, cooking, and spending time with friends.  I want to renew old friendships that have slipped away because we were all too busy with our lives.

I recently spent a week-end with old friends, and it was like picking up the conversation from yesterday. Old friends know our quirks and strengths.  They have seen us at our worst, and are still here.

I think it is our past experiences that make us who we are.  They leave a footprint on our soul. If I could give any words of advise, it would be to savor all of life's experiences.  They are what shape the person you will become. And the way you handle yourself in adversity is what makes you strong in the future.  No one goes through life unscathed.  Always take the high road.  I know it sounds like a cliche, but people have long memories, so try to behave in the manner you want to be remembered in.

So please, I would love to hear any words of advise my friends out there would give me.  It may save me from making mistakes that I might like to avoid.

And remember, life is what you make of it.  Only you can choose happiness for yourself....it's up to us to shape our lives.  Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment