Thursday, December 16, 2010

Size really does not matter!

Here we are, at the holidays, getting ready for family gatherings.  And just sometimes, it is something to be feared or dreaded.

This photo of my family, would not always have had everyone smiling in it.
Every family has at least one member who is too loud, an Uncle know-it-all, an Aunt over-the-top-out-do-everyone, etc,etc.  I am sure you know what I mean.  And with the economy as it is, we all need to cut back on our expenses or suffer the bills arriving in January.

Here are some helpful tips for a happy holiday season.
  • Make it from your heart...forget the past.  This is now, and what is past is just that! past.  Let it go and move on.
  • Avoid the scenario that brings out the worst in people.  If your brother drinks too much, maybe you should just serve a festive punch this year
  • Make it a casual day.  Everyone is comfortable in jeans, and there's less competition in dressing down for the day.
  • Ask everyone to bring their favorite dish for the meal.  Then compliment them on their efforts and accomplishments.
  • How about gag gifts this year?  My dad always used to ask us kids for socks for Christmas.  So one year I got him long, striped socks with 5 separate toes.  He sure was surprised, and we all got a good laugh.
I have found that the gifts that have meant the most to me in the past, have been homemade, gift certificates from my son promising to do something for me that I knew her hated doing, or a lovely card with a sharing note inside.  Maybe I am just a simple person, but sometimes it is the small gesture that means the most.


What was your favorite Christmas gift, and who was it from?  How old were you?

Do you have traditions in your family that you would like to share?  I'd love to hear them.

I wish you a very happy holiday season...Donna

1 comment:

  1. It is the time of year that brings my entire family together, which makes it special indeed

    ReplyDelete